Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Clyde Drexler: Dwayne Hoover?

I'm watching the Celtics/ Rockets game from last night, and I've got the Portland broadcast, which is excellent, because I'm partial to the sometimes silly ramblings of announcing team Bill Worrell and former NBA great Clyde Drexler. Here's an exchange from this game that I couldn't stop thinking about:

BW: Aaron Brooks hits a three! There's where your offense is coming from now, he has five quick points.
CD: Well he can play the game, you've got to guard him...he's not a robot.

At this point, Luis Scola came up with a steal, and the conversation changed directions. I felt a little robbed by that, because I would love to know what Clyde was getting at. As near as I can tell, here are the possible implications of that statement:

  • Aaron Brooks is not a robot, but some basketball players are
  • Robots are unable to play the game well
  • You don't have to guard robots

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Clyde has really touched on a significantly under-reported issue in the world of sports: the complete inability of robots to play basketball. I don't know why coaches keep putting them in.

If our beloved Q! taught us anything this past summer, and believe me, He did... oh yes, He surely did... it is that robots are really more suited to baseball. Or, for our Latino robots, béisbol.

Anonymous said...

Also, I demand that you tell me who Dwayne Hoover is.

Because his website, dwaynehoover.com, does not immediately elucidate your correlation.

Wait... this is some book-reading thing, isn't it?

nathan aa said...

Dwayne Hoover can be Bruce Willis, but only once in a great while, and not very well.