Tuesday, November 4, 2008

NBA Preview: Western Conference, Northwest Division

Denver Nuggets:
Because I took so long to finish these predictions, I have the benefit of knowing about the Allen Iverson trade before I start here, which was not the case last week when I wrote about the Pistons. As for the trade, my reaction was closer to this then this, which is to say that I don't get the Nuggets. Having Billups will free up an extra green light for JR Smith, though, and Anthony should continue to fill it up like a top five scorer, so this team won't be worse in the short term. The problem is the long term plan, which is, I fear, almost nonexistent. If I'm Melo, I'm not sure I stick around to watch this team rebuild around me again after my contract is up, and Billups is 33. The only real keeper on this team other than Melo is the aforementioned Smith, a gifted offensive player who hasn't shown much interest in the game's other aspects. The Nugs have big money committed to Nene (boy does he need to have a good year), and no promising young talent at all. All that future talk aside, I predicted this team would make the playoffs, and I still think that's true. Give Billups his due: he's a quality point guard, below all-star caliber but very good, and he's a much better defensive player than Iverson, and he'll probably come in with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Kenyon Martin will be solid-ish, and Linas "my mind is like a" Kleiza is a decent tweener in the frontcourt. Plus, this guy, and who doesn't love that guy? Seriously. He needs his own shoe, and badly.

Minnesota Timberwolves:

Oklahoma City Highjackers:

Portland Trailblazers:

Utah Jazz:

1 comment:

Michael Armstrong said...

Too depressed to finish this division? Both the T'wolves and the T'ders in one post is unenviable at best. I understand.