Thursday, November 13, 2008

Obama's Phenomenal Swag

Swag, in terms of basketball culture, is an ill-defined term, but it's probably simplest to equate it with confidence: crazy, bet-a-million-dollars-style confidence. I first heard the term here, when this happened. To put the theatrics in context, I found this number: at the end of January that season, Arenas was 11 for 11 on shots that ended quarters or games, with a handful of game winners tossed in, and that is ridiculous. Arenas who plays in Washington, and has had more than his share of nicknames, has recently relinquished the title "The Black President", since president elect Obama now seems to have a stronger claim to it. To show his support, Arenas recently got this tattoo. I bring up the concept of swag at this particular time because this morning I read this article (via Truehoop). I'm pulling a section here, because I thought it was particularly interesting.
Obama, who is not without an ego, regarded himself as just as gifted as his top strategists in the art and practice of politics. Patrick Gaspard, the campaign’s political director, said that when, in early 2007, he interviewed for a job with Obama and Plouffe, Obama said that he liked being surrounded by people who expressed strong opinions, but he also said, “I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters. I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director.” After Obama’s first debate with McCain, on September 26th, Gaspard sent him an e-mail. “You are more clutch than Michael Jordan,” he wrote. Obama replied, “Just give me the ball.”
Obama's swag during this election process was, by all accounts I've heard, pretty phenomenal. Confident and crazy, but successful, and I think a lot of people recognize that you need that level of confidence to achieve that level of success. That is phenomenal swag, make no mistake. The rest of that article is a good read, especially if you are not depressed by hearing about the dirty and gritty machinery that get people elected. If you are like me, and it does depress you, then I recommend a healthy dose of Knut.

No comments: